Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts have officially stopped the sales of all shark’s fin. Not only have they taken it off their menus, they are also refusing to source it for private events and the like. In another positive move towards supporting sustainable fishing practices they will also phase out bluefin tuna and Chilean sea bass from all F & B outlets this year. Three cheers to the Shangri – La for attempting to be a socially responsible corporation! Read the full article here:
“Shark fin soup is responsible for the destruction of shark populations throughout the world. Shark fin soup has been a Chinese delicacy since the Ming Dynasty. Back then, only the Emperor and his guests ate it. Until about twenty years ago, shark fin soup was served mostly in Hong Kong and other cities with Chinese populations, but only rarely in China, itself. This relatively low consumption of shark fin soup did not result in a significant problem for shark survival. But now, many of the 1.3 billion people of… ” read more…
Did you know???
– sharks are essential to maintaining the biodiversity of our oceans.
– sharks control ocean ecosystems by removing the sick and unhealthy.
– sharks are shy creatures and humans are not normal prey species for sharks.
– numbers killed by sharks each year are in the single digits whereas 2 – 3 million people a year are killed by mosquitos.
– sharks contain toxic levels of Methyl mercury.
Ocean expert, Prof Steve Oakley explains the facts about sharks in these three excellent articles: